General Responsibilities and Duties
The Animal Inspector is the local agent of the Massachusetts Bureau of Animal Health and is appointed by the Select Board. She is responsible for matters of animal health as relates to public safety. The Animal Inspectors responsibilities are:
- The annual animal census of farm animals – Yearly inspection of properties to count and log the numbers and health of farm animals in the Town of Pepperell. At this time the vaccines, habitat, and feed stores are checked. This information is then filed with the Massachusetts Bureau of Animal Health.
- Rabies Control
- Animal Bites – Ordering the quarantine of animals which have bitten a person or other animal.
- Animal Wounds – Ordering the quarantine of animals who have sustained wounds or bites of unknown origin. Veterinarians are required by law to report bites of unknown origin to the Animal Inspector. This is for the safety of the animal and its owners.
- Wild animals – Attempting to capture and test for rabies wild animals that show signs of illness or feral animals that bite humans or other domestic animals.
- Testing – The Animal Inspector also collects and transfers animals/birds for testing by the Bureau of Animal Health (ie West Nile Virus, Rabies).
Contacting the Animal Inspector
Please contact the Board of Health office at 978-433-0328 or after office hours call Pepperell Police Department at 433-433-2424.
Lisa Forbes, Animal Inspector