What are Native plants? Plants that grew here before the Colonists arrived. They occur naturally in a particular region, ecosystem, or habitat without human introduction.
Benefits of growing native plants
- They are drought resistant; they evolved here and are suited to our climate.
- They don't require supplemental watering.
- They don't need fertilizers, herbicides or pesticides; saving you money and time.
- They are safer for your family and pets.
- They are unlikely to be invasive and protect bio-diversity in our landscapes.
- They are beautiful! Who wouldn’t want to grow them?
Best practices for Sustainable Gardens
- Shrink the size of your lawn; grass has no ecological benefit.
- Remove invasive species.
- Plant for specialist pollinators
- Set a goal to have 75% native plants and trees.
- Do not spray chemicals.
- Use motion sensor lights.
- Set mower height no lower than 3 inches.